The Closing the Hunger Gap Network works to broadly engage anyone who genuinely supports community empowerment efforts involving food in low-income communities so that we can collectively:
- Leverage food bank infrastructure and assets to strengthen local food systems and social and economic justice work
- Build relationships and understanding between food banks and connect this to the broader community food security movement
- Grow the movement to build a network culture of collaboration, innovation, and learning
Bi-annual Closing the Hunger Gap Conferences provide a space to make connections and share our work.
TOGETHER WE CAN CLOSE THE HUNGER GAP:
View Closing the Hunger Gap: Food Security Conference in a full screen map
We envision a time when food banks measure success based on how many people no longer need handouts, rather than primarily on increased “neediness” or the pounds of food that have been moved in and out
We also envision a time when people who now see themselves as “recipients” will increasingly build capacity to determine their own futures
We envision a time when low-income people, food banks, and community food leaders are effectively engaged in close collaboration in food security efforts that are local, regional, national, and international. We seek to grow this movement to build a network culture of collaboration, innovation, and learning.
To engage food banks and their constituents in expanding their efforts beyond food handouts, toward community-based empowerment initiatives that effectively network with broader food security work.
To build the capacities of food bank board and staff who wish to move toward empowerment work, and build practitioners’ networks that advance this practice.
To effectively engage diverse constituencies nationally to serve as a stronger voice supporting community empowerment efforts in low-income communities.
- Position food banks and food programs as public health institutions
- Build local food systems and community economies
- Grow our capacity as community organizers and social justice advocates
- Collaborate for clients: Wrap-around services
- Advocate for policy and funding conditions that support community food security
Participate in the Closing the Hunger Gap Network:
- Join an Action Hub.
- Present at the 2015 Conference (more info available December 2014)
- Attend the 2015 Conference (registration opens June 2015)